Liberty Worship Center Timeline
In the beginning …
We had our humble beginnings in a tent on Troy Road in the late 1920s. Sister Maude Hepps of St. Louis, Missouri, brought the gospel message to Edwardsville. The congregation — Arlis, Cherry, Gardner, Grays, Hunt, Johnson, King, Koch, Logan, Patton, Upton, Williams and Young —moved to a store front (Figge Building) on St. Louis Street, where the church remained until 1940. The congregation began as a Free Pentecostal group. The Revs. Gray and Upton gave leadership to the Assembly after Sis. Hepps continued her evangelistic crusades in other cities.
Under the leadership of the Rev. Andrew Davis, the congregation voted to affiliate with the Assemblies of God. In 1940, the congregation met in a basement church at the corner of Benton and Center Streets — now the site of the Madison County Jail.
Pastor M.W. Jackson and some of the congregation built the first permanent church on Saint Louis Street. It was just a block structure at the time. In 1953, the church was bricked, and the old parsonage adjacent to the church became the Educational Building, and a small house later became the youths’ “Carpenter Shop.”
In 1957, the church purchased a parsonage at 511 St. Louis Street. In 1961, the Sunday school averaged 175. In 1962, the Rev. Cecil Grigsby and congregation built an auditorium — an addition to the previously built church.
In 1987, the congregation burned the mortgage for the church addition, which had now become the sanctuary. The church name was changed from Edwardsville Assemblies of God to First Assembly of God, Edwardsville, in 1993.
The Lord began to do some new and exciting things in us, for us, and through us, including reviving the vision to build a new church building!
In 2008, a 25-year dream of building a new and better facility, in a new and potentially better location, started taking shape. With all that has happened, the church deemed it fitting and appropriate to adopt a new name when we moved to our new church building at 8025 Goshen Road. Edwardsville. That name: Liberty Worship Center.
The Pastorate Through the Years
There have been 14 senior pastors on record at Edwardsville Assembly of God/First Assembly of God / Liberty Worship Center:
The Rev. Andrew W. Davis
1942: The Rev. M.C. Johnson
1944: The Rev. Harold J. Keener
1946: The Rev. Ray Willis
1949: The Rev. M.W. Jackson
1952: The Rev. Randol L. Mercer
1957: The Rev. Cecil Grigsby
1962: The Rev. John M. Graham
1972: The Rev. Steve D. Schubert
1984: The Rev. William Prather
1984: The Rev. James Herschel Crouch
1992: The Rev. Richard L. Crabb
2000: The Rev. Jeffery P. Lane
2001 – Present: The Rev. Timothy C. Broihier